Billboard Design Guide
Tips to Create an Impactful Billboard Design
Be Clear and Concise
Your content will only be visible for a few seconds at a time. Good billboard designs communicate without a lot of words. In fact, most drivers will stop reading after five words. Try to convey the essence of an idea rather than describing it with prose.
Use the Correct Ad Size(s)
The billboards you choose will determine the size of the artwork that you will need to create.
The ads you submit must match the pixel dimensions of the billboards they will appear on. Billboard dimensions vary by board. The required dimensions for your artwork are listed as “ad size” in the sign information for each sign individually. This information can be found after you select a sign during the campaign set-up process.
Due to drivers’ short attention spans, use large, bold fonts and avoid narrow or ornate fonts. Use bright colors with a high level of contrast between the text and the background so your ad is easier to read.
Use the Right Format
Please save your ads as .png or .jpg in order to upload them to your campaign.
Use Appropriate Content
Make all ad content appropriate for all audiences.
The Rules of Billboard Designs
All content is reviewed before it is eligible to appear on any billboard. Artwork will only be approved it meets the following criteria.
Your ad may be approved or rejected for any reason.
Blip wants you to be successful. Please follow the below guidelines to make the best ad possible.
- - No nudity, profanity, graphic violence, hate speech, or personal attacks.
- - Innuendos of any kind will be rejected.
- - No advertising for illegal goods or services.
- - All website domains must be legitimate and functioning.
- - No statements that are verifiably false or needlessly inflammatory.
- - No footnotes, disclaimers, or “fine print” of any kind.
- - The identity of the advertiser must be discernible.
- - Phone numbers do not count as an identity. You must have a logo, brand name, or URL.
- - No negative ads towards a person, event, or business will be accepted
- - All political ads must have a clear and legible “Paid for by…” statement from a legitimate organization.
- - All campaigns must be for a cause or candidate
- - No negative or potentially controversial ads will be accepted
- - All music artists with explicit lyrics must put an “explicit content” tag on their ad.
- - No QR or Text Codes (they encourage distracted driving)
- - Anything deceptive or scammy will not be approved.
- - Sexually charged content may be rejected on a case by case basis.
- - Questionable website content may be rejected. Meaning anything deemed offensive to the community at large (general public).
- - Any messaging that is attempting to drive business away from the sign owner (i.e. “advertise here”, “call for digital billboard advertising”, etc.)
- - All content is reviewed before it is eligible to appear on any billboard. Your ad may be approved or rejected for any reason at Blip’s discretion.